Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Karate Duffel

Dana and Rae celebrated "The Boy" over the last month,
and one of their guests shared this tutorial.
Bentley needed a bag for his karate sparring gear,
so I used the tutorial to make him this duffel.
I used some dark denim, and 18" separating zipper,
and plain 1 1/2" wide webbing.
I needed the bag to be large enough for his helmet,
so I increased the measurements.
I cut two zipper linings, each 18 1/2" x 5";
two 10 1/2" circles for the ends;
and for the body, a rectangle 32" x 18 1/2".
I bought 76" of the webbing, and then realized that
I should have bought more because my bag is wider.
It worked out okay, the handles are just shorter.
Also, the circles seemed just a bit smaller than the
body of the bag, so I ended up gathering a little around
the zipper on each side of the bag.
I spent about $10 on supplies, including a 10 pack of
sewing machine needles tough enough for denim.